Glastonbury AbbeyTNG by Emily EavisRescue Our Ruins AppealTourist Board - Quality Assured Visitor AttractionMAS Accredited Museum

About Us

Glastonbury Abbey is a registered charity - Number 1129263 - and a company limited by guarantee with visitor income and donations the only source of income.

In 1907 the ruins and neighbouring Abbey House were sold at public auction and the whole property was bought by Ernest Jardine from Nottingham who offered it to the Church of England at cost price.

The funds were raised by 1909 and on June 22 that year the Prince and Princess of Wales visited to celebrate the restoration of the abbey to the Church of England.

The charity preserves the fabric and grounds of Glastonbury Abbey ruins, provides education in the abbey's religious and historic importance for the public benefit and uses the abbey to advance religion in accordance with the doctrines of the Church of England.

The abbey is a scheduled ancient monument and listed building of national importance. The ruins, grounds and Accredited museum are open to the public for 364 days a year.

We also provide an education service and an annual events and exhibitions programme. We are visited by nearly 100,000 people from all over the world each year but also hold a special place in the heart of the local community.

The abbey is governed by a board of trustees.